Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hard Boiled Eggs

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but last night I finally hard boiled eggs correctly for the first time.... I know, I know, how had could it be right? WRONG! lol.
Over my 10 years of having kids every year we break out the old eggs and coloring kit. And every year I turn to different instructions for boiling eggs. I have tried different methods of bringing to a boil and simmering to taking off the heat and leaving covered. For some reason nothing ever really worked. I finally resorted to buying a hard boiled egg cooker machine. (Which isn't surprising to anyone who knows and loves me since one whole wall of my walk in pantry is appliances and gadgets! I love them!)
Well alas, last night I gave it another go. The problem was that I needed to do a few dozen, and my machine only does 8 at a time.
I did do them in a batch of a dozen at a time but followed the directions I found exactly! Of courseo ne or two cracked, but it gave me the chance to try them and they were perfectly cooked, not rubbery, and the yolk stayed completely yellow.
Basically I took room tempature eggs and set in the bottom of a pot. I only did a dozen at time to allow room for the eggs to move around without cracking. I covered with cold water by about an extra inch, and covered the pot and set on med-high. I watched very closely and as soon as the water came to a complete boil I removed from the heat and added 1 tsp. salt. I then recovered and let sit for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes I added the eggs to an ice water bath for about 15 minutes.
So yes, after 10 years this housewife can finally boil an egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment